It has got to be the oldest wives tale in the book!
A warm bowl of homemade chicken soup to beat a bad case of the sniffles, sore throat, and runny nose. Yes, sure, it is warming, comforting and easy on the throat – and makes you feel better. But surely it doesn’t help you heal better.
Well, the research is in and it agrees with your Nan!
Chicken soup boosts your immune system so it can not only fight off the bad guys and relieve symptoms but can also assist in getting you back on track.
SO HERE IT IS…
A HEARTY CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP WITH TURMERIC
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 6 to 8 chicken thighs, cut into 3cm chunks*
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tbsp minced garlic*
- 1 tbsp minced ginger*
- 2 cups sliced carrots, quartered lengthwise and sliced*
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms*
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp turmeric*
- 1 tsp salt (adjust to taste)
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- 2 bay leaves
- 1800 mL of no-salt-added chicken bone broth (can use no salt chicken stock)*
- 2 cups uncooked whole wheat egg noodles*
- 1 x 540 mL can lentils, drained and rinsed*
- ¼ cup lemon juice*
*see how these ingredients boost your immune system below*
- In a large pot, heat Olive oil over medium heat.
- Brown chicken (approx. 5 minutes) and remove to a bowl.
- Add onion, garlic, ginger, carrots, mushrooms, celery and seasonings to pot. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add broth and bring to boil. Return chicken to pot. Add egg noodles and lentils.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice.
There are a number of ingredients in this soup that can help your body’s immune system rev up to fight pesky cold invaders.
It is also full of vegetables and is extremely hydrating – which is important when you are under the weather.
Give it a go and let us know how it turns out.
Stay Well and have a SOUP-ERB day (sorry, couldn’t help myself),
(Thanks to thrive360 for the great recipe)