Firstly, CONGRATULATIONS is in order!
Pregnancy is an incredible time. The body’s ability to grow and nurture a baby is nothing short of amazing. But really, as if the morning sickness, fatigue, cravings and your little bambino kicking your bladder at every chance weren’t enough, did they really have to add back pain to the list?
Well if this sounds like you, you are not alone! In fact, 50% of all pregnant women experience discomfort during pregnancy and 50-75% during labour (1,2). Not fair right?
WHATS HAPPENING TOO ME?
As your beautiful baby bump grows, your spine begins to make changes to support the growth of the newest family member. The weight of your ever-growing baby becomes a major load to bear with your centre of gravity shifting forward. (3)
Hormonal changes also flood your system giving strict instructions to the supporting tissues to soften and increase the flexibility of the joints allowing them to shift to prepare for little one’s arrival (3).
The body can do this best when the pelvic bones are balanced, as the uterus is able to enlarge symmetrically with the growing baby. If the bones of the pelvis are out of alignment, this will directly affect the way the uterus will be supported. Unequal ligament support of the uterus will torque the uterus reducing the amount of room for the developing baby. The term used to describe this is an intrauterine constraint (4, 5, 6).
An irritable, nauseous, fatigued mum with lower back or pubic pain struggling to get comfortable on top of all the other ‘perks’. We find as Chiropractors, women learn to simply accept these ‘pregnancy discomforts’, when in fact you don’t have to.
CHIROPRACTIC AND PREGNANCY
Here is where we come in. Chiropractic helps the pelvis becomes balanced, relax and stable allowing the joints to expand and move freely in the way they are designed to do. The approach is gentle and modified for the pregnant mother regardless if you are in your third week or third trimester. Chiropractic is here to encouraging a healthy, nurturing and empowering pregnancy and birth journey.
So here are 5 reasons to see a Chiropractor when you are expecting!
- Improves overall function, comfort and wellbeing.
- May encourage optimal foetal positioning (3,4, 5)
- Reduces spinal and pelvic discomfort and facilitates proper function. In fact, it helps relieves back pain for up to 85% of pregnant women (1)
- Improve mums capacity to cope with stress. We are talking better sleep, less discomfort and an ability to remain active (3) which contributes to an easier, safer birth with less intervention (6,7).
- Reduce labour time for first-time mums by 24% on average and 39% for experienced mum and improving the ease of delivery (8)
Show me any women that would not be excited about this opportunity!
Because we feel so passionately about Chiropractic Care throughout pregnancy we have a special gift of ALL expecting mothers. We would like to gift you the opportunity to get yourself checked by one of our amazing Chiropractors by offering our INITIAL CONSULTATION FREE OF CHARGE (valued at $90).
No strings attached.
To take us up on this offer please phone reception on 9201 2000 to schedule your initial consultation and discover why so many other mothers are using Up Chiropractic as a natural pregnancy and health aid and make the most of this special time.
Dr Kait & Team Up x
- Diakow P.R.P., Gadsby T.A., Gadsby J.B., Gleddie J.G., Leprich D.J., Scales A.M. Back pain during pregnancy and labor. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 1991;14(2):116–118. [PubMed]
- Berg G., Hammer M., Moller-Nielsen J., Linden U., Thorblad J. Low back pain in pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol. 1988;71:71–75. [PubMed]
- Barham-Floreani, J. (2009). Well adjusted babies. [Melbourne, Vic.]: Vitality Productions.
- Borggren, C. (2007). Pregnancy and chiropractic: a narrative review of the literature.Journal Of Chiropractic Medicine, 6(2), 70-74. doi: 10.1016/j.jcme.2007.04.004
- Anrig C, Plaugher G; “Chiropractic Management of In-Utero Constraint” Pediatric Chiropractic, 1998: Chapter 5 page 102.
- Anderson C. Exercise and pregnancy. ICA Int Rev Chiropr. 2004:53–61.
- Thompson CK. Baby on board: the benefit of chiropractic during pregnancy for both mother and child. J Am Chiropr Assoc 1997; 34(5):17, 95
- Fallon J.M. The effect of chiropractic treatment on pregnancy and labour. A comprehensive study. Proceedings of the world federation of Chiropractic. 1991: 24-31